The perfect backpack for a world trip!
The decision, which backpack to buy for a long journey (e.g. work and travel or a world trip), is not as easy as you think it might be! We tried out many different backpacks in different stores before choosing one.
Requirements for our backpacks:
- At least 2-3 inner compartments (especially to store dirty or wet clothes)
- Front access to our equipment, so we don’t have to take everything out, when we’re looking for a specific thing
- A simple, adjustable system to easily adjust the position of the backpack on our back
- Comfort: Convenient shoulder and hip straps
- High quality zippers and seams
Eventually we decided to buy two models, which we want to present to you in this blogpost.
Capacity: 65 liters (expandable to 80 liters)
Weight: 2.9 kg
Price: 299.95 € RRP
(I got it for only 170€ at engelhorn!!)
This trekking backpack offers plenty of storage space and is specifically made for women’s bodies (this is what „SL“ means in the product name). It’s made for heavy loads and is therefore suitable for long-term travels.
- Aircontact system: According to Deuter, you sweat 15 % less in comparison to a conventional backpack – but it still has a balanced and safe fit with perfect load transfer.
- Simple and continuous adjustment of the back system
- Separate bottom compartment with removable intermediate base
- Separate compartment for dirty or wet clothes
- Rain cover in particular compartment
- Separate compartment for valuables
- Exterior pockets and loops to attach several things
- Device to add a hydration system
- Front access (zipper)
- Padded hip straps
- The backpacks top (including two compartments for valuables) can be removed and converted into a daypack
Yes, the backpack is really expensive! But after four months of using it, I can only recommend it. I already realized that the cheaper backpacks are too uncomfortable by only trying them on once. The backpacks simply didn’t fit my body. My backpack is made of high-grade materials, has enough compartments and is very comfortable. Deuter stands for great quality and I can definitely approve that. Until now the backpack has survived three flights and several bus drives and is still flawless. But note that I also use a protective cover.
Capacity: 65 liters (expandable to 75 liters)
Weight: 2.2 kg
Price: 179.95€ RRP
(I got it for only 90€ at engelhorn thanks to several discount codes! Best discount ever!)
The backpack has a unique, adjustable back system. On their website you will now find the back system „Axiom 3“, but my backpack is still equipped with the older „Axiom 2“. What makes this back system unique is that you don’t have to take off your backpack to adjust the height of the shoulder straps. You simply pull two strings, one on each side of the backpack and you can adjust the height while wearing it! Extremely convenient!
- Innovative back system, which allows you to adjust the height of the shoulder straps while wearing the backpack
- Big main compartment with a small inside pocket
- Separate bottom compartment
- Backpack has a front access (zipper)
- Integrated rain cover in a separate bottom compartment
- Many loops to attach additional things
- Hidden inside compartment in the backpacks top for valuables
- Two big nets at the sides, e.g. for bottles
- Small bag on the padded hip straps
There are no additional extras. But this was not important to me. I focused on the wearing comfort and the division of the compartments.
This backpack has a great price-performance ratio. With a recommended retail price of 179,95€, this backpack is relatively cheap and of good quality. Taking the huge discount into consideration I got, I think it’s impossible to find a cheaper backpack. Particularly not with the same quality. The back system works perfect so far. I am completely convinced of this backpack after using it for months already. It’s robust and comfortable to carry. Definitely recommended!
Isabelle & Flo, the backpackerbuddies